River cruises are so much fun and are fast becoming a popular vacation adventure, especially in Europe. However, like many vacations, packing for a river cruise can be a challenge. What do you bring? How much can you jam into your carry on? Here are a few packing tips to simplify your packing and focus more on your cruise.
- Comfortable by day: Bring casual comfortable clothes for any daytime activities, such as walking on deck and sightseeing. Sun dresses, shorts, skirts, flip flops are all perfect
- Dressy by night: Some cruises require dressier attire for dinner (jacket, tie, dresses), while others allow you to wear the same attire that you wore during the day. The best way to find out about river cruise line this out is to ask your river cruise line directly. To be on the safe side, bring at least one or two dressier outfits. There are
sure to be special events that you will need to dress for and you’ll be ready.
- Pack for activities: Playing tennis? Going hiking? Love to swim? Make sure you pack clothes for whatever activities you will enjoy.
- Guidebooks: make sure you have a guidebook for wherever you are going. Do some research ahead of time about places to visit and what you can expect at each port.
- Shoes: Boy, they take up so much room! Try to bring a comfortable walking pair of shoes or sneakers, a pair of flip flops or sandals for being near the water and a dressy pair of shoes for those fancier evenings.
- Check the weather: If you’re cruising through Europe in the summer, you’ll need to dress for the hot weather, but be sure to bring a light jacket or sweater because the temperatures may drop in the evening and the breeze on the vessel can make it feel even chillier. Don’t forget a raincoat and, of course, a swimsuit.
- Incidentals: Don’t forget a small bag that you can use to put your camera and important items when you leave the vessel to go sightseeing
Keep in mind that many vessels have laundry services, so if you feel like these aren’t enough of outfits for your cruise, they can be washed and worn again.